Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Large Octopus



There is no doubt about it. Octopus are amazing creatures. We encountered a large one on the reef the other day and I got a short video of it. Unlike most I've encountered it was not terribly shy, and stayed in view for more than a half hour. At about 5 feet across, size may have had something to do with it. The video gives a good sense as to how rapidly they can change color and texture to match the surrounding environment, or to send a signal. What it doesn't portray as well is the amount of -for lack of better words- personality that these animals have.

Enjoy. I sure did.

-Seabird





1 comment:

Badger, Bob said...

That is COMPLETELY AMAZING. The colour change, I can get, but the mimicry of texture with it's skin just floors me. Fantastic video, Sea.

~Badger